About Andrew Weil, M.D.
Andrew Weil, M.D., is a world-renowned leader and pioneer in the field of integrative medicine, a healing-oriented approach to health care which encompasses body, mind, and spirit.
Combining a Harvard education and a lifetime of practicing natural and preventive medicine, Dr. Weil is the founder and director of the Andrew Weil Center for Integrative Medicine at the University of Arizona, where he also holds the Lovell-Jones Endowed Chair in Integrative Rheumatology, and is Clinical Professor of Medicine and Professor of Public Health. The Center is the leading effort in the world to develop a comprehensive curriculum in integrative medicine. Graduates serve as directors of integrative medicine programs throughout the United States, and through its fellowship, the Center is now training doctors and nurse practitioners around the world.
Dr. Weil is an internationally recognized expert for his views on leading a healthy lifestyle, his philosophy of healthy aging, and his critique of the future of medicine and health care.
Dr. Weil’s Education
- A.B., biology (botany), Harvard University, 1964
- M.D., Harvard University Medical School, 1968
After completing a medical internship at Mt. Zion Hospital in San Francisco, he worked a year with the National Institute of Mental Health, then wrote his first book, The Natural Mind. From 1971-75, as a Fellow of the Institute of Current World Affairs, Dr. Weil traveled widely in North and South America and Africa collecting information on drug use in other cultures, medicinal plants, and alternative methods of treating disease. From 1971-84 he was on the research staff of the Harvard Botanical Museum and conducted investigations of medicinal and psychoactive plants.
- Founder and director of the Andrew Weil Center for Integrative Medicine at the University of Arizona
- Editorial director of the popular website, DrWeil.com
- Contributor and visiting faculty member, Institute for Integrative Nutrition
- Founder and chairman of The Weil Foundation
- Founder and co-owner of the growing group of True Food Kitchen restaurants
Dr. Weil writes a monthly column for Prevention magazine. A frequent lecturer and guest on talk shows, Dr. Weil is an internationally recognized expert on medicinal plants, alternative medicine, and the reform of medical education. In partnership with Seabourn and The Onboard Spa by Steiner, his “Spa and Wellness with Dr. Andrew Weil” mindful-living program is offered on all of the Seabourn cruise ships. He lives in Tucson, Arizona, USA.
Oxford University Press is currently producing the “Weil Integrative Medicine Library,” a series of volumes for clinicians in various medical specialties; the first of these, Integrative Oncology appeared in 2009. Since then, Integrative Psychiatry, Integrative Pediatrics, Integrative Women’s Health, Integrative Rheumatology, Integrative Cardiology, and Integrative Gastroenterology, and many others have been published.
Dr. Weil’s Publications
He is the author of many scientific and popular articles and many books, including these national and international best-sellers:
- The Natural Mind; The Marriage of the Sun and Moon; From Chocolate to Morphine (with Winifred Rosen)
- Health and Healing; Natural Health, Natural Medicine
- Spontaneous Healing
- 8 Weeks to Optimum Health
- Eating Well for Optimum Health: The Essential Guide to Food, Diet, and Nutrition
- The Healthy Kitchen: Recipes for a Better Body, Life, and Spirit (with Rosie Daley)
- Healthy Aging: A Lifelong Guide to Your Well-Being
- Why Our Health Matters: A Vision of Medicine That Can Transform Our Future (issued in paperback with new content as: You Can’t Afford to Get Sick).
- Spontaneous Happiness(2011)
- True Food: Seasonal, Sustainable, Simple, Pure(2012)
- Fast Food, Good Food(2015)
- Mind Over Meds (2017)
- 17 volumes in the Weil Integrative Medicine Library, from the Oxford University Press
Magazines & Periodicals:
- Monthly column in Prevention magazine
- Monthly Self Healing mailed newsletter
- Annual volume of the Self Healing newsletters, all published in a single-issue publication, by year.
- Periodic single-issue and topic-specific publications, including the recent, Andrew Weil’s Garden to Table Cooking
Join Dr. Weil on social media:
- Twitter: @DrWeil
- Facebook: DrWeil
- Instagram: @DrWeil
- YouTube: @DrWeil
- Pinterest: DrWeil
- Flickr: DrWeil
Learn More About Andrew Weil, M.D.
- Weil Foundation
Andrew Weil, M.D., donates all of his after-tax profits from royalties from sales of Weil Lifestyle products directly to the Weil Foundation, a not-for-profit organization dedicated to supporting integrative medicine through training, education, and research. Since its inception in 2005, the Weil Foundation has given out more than $6.1 million in grants and gifts to medical centers and other non-profit organizations nationwide. weilfoundation.org
- What Is Integrative Medicine?
Integrative medicine is healing-oriented medicine that takes account of the whole person (body, mind, and spirit), including all aspects of lifestyle.
- About Weil Lifestyle
Weil Lifestyle is an organization founded with the mandate of providing an ethical funding platform to support the Weil Foundation.
- Weil’s Podcast Appearances
Listen to Dr. Weil talk about the long and interesting road his life has taken, and his strongly influential role in establishing the field of integrative medicine.
- Dr. Weil’s Ongoing Commitment To Integrative Medicine
Dr. Weil donates an additional $15 million (adding to the previous $5 million) to the University of Arizona for the expansion of the Center for Integrative Medicine.