Robust Beet Salad
Nutrients Per Serving
Protein: 2.9 grams
Fat: 2.0 grams
Saturated Fat: 0.3 grams
Monounsat Fat: 1.3 grams
Polyunsat Fat: 0.3 grams
Carbohydrate: 24.9 grams
Fiber: 5.1 grams
Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
Vitamin A: 64.6 IU
Vitamin E: 0.7 mg/IU
Vitamin C: 9.5 mg
Calcium: 37.0 mg
Magnesium: 44.5 mg
Beets in this recipe are packed with powerful antioxidants and may help protect against cancer and heart disease.
This dish brings to mind pickled beets – with a grown-up slant. It keeps well in the refrigerator, as does our recipe for Pickled Carrots. Enjoy!
Food as Medicine
Beets are a colorful source of anthocyanins, the purple pigments also found in blueberries, red grapes and red cabbage. They are powerful antioxidants and may help protect against cancer and heart disease.
3 pounds beets
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup rice or cider vinegar
1/4 cup water
1 teaspoon wasabi powder (Japanese horseradish)
1 teaspoon dry mustard powder
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 large onion, sliced thin
Salt to taste
- Cut off the beet tops about an inch above the beet.
- In a large pot cover the beets with three inches of cold water and bring to a boil.
- Cover and boil over medium heat until tender, about 45 minutes.
- Drain the beets under cool running water. Slip off their skins.
- Trim off stems and root ends and slice the beets thinly.
- Combine the sliced beets in a bowl with the other ingredients, add salt to taste, and chill. Stir several times.
This salad will keep for a week in the refrigerator.