Makes over 2 quarts.
To make flavorful and intense dashi, start by using our Mushroom Stock recipe and simply soak dried shiitake mushrooms in water.
This mushroom-seaweed Japanese stock is used in many dishes. You can find dried shiitakes, kombu, and bonito flakes in Asian and other markets. This is a flavorful option for vegetarians and vegans looking to make Japanese stock.
2 quarts Mushroom Stock
2 ounces dried shiitake mushroom caps
1 (20-inch square) piece kombu
1⁄2 cup bonito flakes
1 tablespoon evaporated cane sugar
¼ cup low-sodium soy sauce
- Add the Mushroom Stock, shiitakes, and kombu in a large pot and bring to a boil.
- Cook over medium heat for 20 minutes, skimming off foam as necessary.
- Remove the kombu. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 45 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and whisk in the bonito flakes and sugar.
- Let the stock cool for 20 minutes.
- Strain through a fine-mesh strainer and discard the solids.
- Stir in the soy sauce.
Transfer to lidded containers and refrigerate for up to three days, or freeze for up to 1 month.