Video: How To Make Healthy Popcorn
Popcorn is more than a go-to movie treat: it’s a healthful snack that provides a bevy of nutritional benefits – when prepared properly. Our healthy popcorn video shows how to make microwave popcorn that minimizes the mess, extra fat and calories, and any unhealthy additives that store-bought microwave popcorn dishes up – but still has all the flavor.
From a nutritional standpoint, popcorn can be healthier than other snacks. It:
- Is a 100 percent unprocessed whole grain.
- When prepared without additional oils, three cups of popped corn has 92 calories, one gram of fat, almost three grams of protein, and 3.6 grams of dietary fiber. Compare that with store-bought microwave popcorn, which according to the USDA has 192 calories and over 14 grams of fat.
- Has more polyphenols (a class of antioxidants) than some fruits and vegetables – up to 300 mg versus 160 mg per serving of fruit.
- Hulls (annoying as they can be when they get stuck in teeth) have a high concentration of fiber and polyphenols.
Our healthy popcorn recipe is a great alternative to store-bought microwave popcorn, which has some health concerns: the use of diacetyl, which is the flavoring in artificial butter and has been linked to a rare lung disease in workers at microwave popcorn plants, as well as the chemical PFOA (perfluorooctanoic acid), which is used in the lining of microwave popcorn bags and has been linked to cancer and birth defects in animals.
And there is no comparison to movie theater popcorn, which traditionally offers up a high amount of sodium and fats (some unhealthy) compared to our healthy popcorn preparation. Plus this recipe will leave your taste buds craving more, with the addition of healthful spices such as nutritional yeast and dill. With little mess and a fast prep time, it may become your go-to snack for movie nights at home!
Cooking With Spices: Nutritional Yeast
Cooking With Spices: Cayenne Pepper
See more of Dr. Weil’s videos and photo galleries.
Video Transcript: How To Make Healthy Popcorn
- How To Make Healthier Microwave Popcorn
- ¼ Cup Organic Popcorn Kernels
- Healthy Custom Flavor Mixture (Such as vitamin B-rich nutritional yeast, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, or dill)
- Brown Paper Bag
- Place Kernels In Bag
- Fold Bag Over Twice
- Place In Microwave For 2:00 Minutes
- Add Healthy Flavorings
- Shake Popcorn To Distribute
- Enjoy Your Healthy Popcorn!