Video: 6 Simple Ways To De-Stress Right Now
Stress is not all bad – we need stress in order to react to situations, such as in “fight or flight” situations, when acute stress can help. But some stress, such as chronic stress, can be mentally and physically harmful. Chronic stress can lead to heart disease, stroke, a depressed immune system, weight changes, insomnia and migraines.
While situations that can lead to stress are unavoidable, you can control how you react to these situations – and help to keep your body and mind healthy. Learn more about ways to keep stress in check with our video “6 Simple Ways To De-Stress Right Now.”
Dr.Weil.com Presents: 6 Simple Ways To De-Stress Right Now
Situations that can create stress are unavoidable, but we can control how we react. Learning how to properly deal with unhealthy stress can go a long way for your health. Consider these six healthy ways to address stress, naturally:
- Journaling. Organizing anxious thoughts, worries and symptoms in a journal can help reduce stress by facilitating problem-solving and “releasing” these negative thoughts.
- Regular daily exercise. Brisk walking and moderate strength training can reduce stress and anxiety, and offer a healthy distraction from negative thoughts.
- Take a “media break.” Taking periodic breaks from the news can promote mental calm and help renew your spirits. This can minimize the anxiety and overstimulation catalyzed by the media.
- Reduce sources of caffeine. This is especially helpful in those who are stimulant sensitive. You may need to do this gradually to avoid withdrawal symptoms like headaches.
- Breathing exercises. Controlling breathing and breath work exercises can offer an immediate lessening of anxiety and a sense of empowerment.
- Clear out your clutter. A tidy, low-maintenance home can provide calm after a day of hectic meetings, errands and chores.
Thanks for watching!