Makes 4 to 6 servings
Nutrients Per Serving:
Fat 2.1 grams
Saturated Fat 0.3 grams
(7.0% of calories from fat)
Protein 24.4 grams
Carbohydrate 37.3 grams
Cholesterol 77.1 mgs
Fiber 3.3 grams
This recipe is courtesy of Dr. Weil’s cookbook: True Food: Seasonal, Sustainable, Simple, Pure.
This recipes is a twist on a traditional Spanish soup and combines fresh seafood with spaghetti.
Fideo means noodle in Spanish and also refers to a Mexican soup made with toasted pasta cooked in the broth. This version combines spaghetti (gluten-free or not) and a selection of seafood. I make the broth a day in advance to allow the flavors to marry. Buy only the freshest seafood from a good source. If you are not able to get the varieties we suggest or if you don’t care for clams or mussels, omit them and substitute your own fresh favorites. A True Food Kitchen exclusive!
Food as Medicine
Black cod (Anoplopoma fimbria) goes by many names: sablefish, blue cod, bluefush, candlefish, coal cod and more. But whatever you call it, this denizen of the deep North Pacific is exceptionally high in omega-3 fatty acids, which appear to help support cardiovascular health and alleviate depression.
2 medium tomatoes, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
1 large jalapeño chile, seeded and chopped
2 garlic cloves, mashed
5 tablespoons tablespoons Annatto Oil
8 ounces spaghetti, broken into 2-inch pieces
1 (8-ounce) bottle clam juice
1/8 teaspoon saffron
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
4 ounces black cod, cut into 8 pieces
8 large shrimp, shelled and deveined
16 Littleneck or other small clams, scrubbed
1/2 fennel bulb, thinly sliced
1/2 cup peas, fresh or frozen
4 ounces fresh, cooked crabmeat
2 cups thinly sliced kale strips
- Place the tomatoes, onion, jalapeño and garlic in a blender and puree until smooth.
- In a skillet, heat 3 tablespoons Annatto Oil over medium heat. Add the pureed vegetables and cook for 5 minutes.
- In a large pot over medium heat, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of Annatto Oil. Add the spaghetti and sauté until golden.
- Add the clam juice, 6 cups water, saffron and smoked paprika. Stir in the pureed vegetables. Cook until the spaghetti is al dente.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove as much spaghetti as possible from the pot to warm bowls. Cover and keep warm.
- Add the black cod, shrimp, clams, fennel and peas to the pot. Cover and cook over medium heat for 3 minutes. Add the crab and kale and heat through.
- Discard any clams that don’t open. Divide the seafood and broth over the pasta and serve hot.