Scallops With Kale Pesto & Feta
Makes 4 servings.
(Courtesy of the True Food Kitchen cookbook.)
This salad features a satisfying mix of vegetables and protein. It will fill you up but leave you light on your feet. The emerald green kale pesto provides a striking color contrast.
Love a little seafood? Dr. Weil shares his simple kitchen technique for perfectly seared scallops. Serve these delightful seared scallops with our tangy kale pesto dressing – they are tender and flavorful with a lightly caramelized crust.
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
16 sea scallops
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 medium tomatoes, cut into bite-size chunks
3 bell peppers (red, yellow, and orange), seeded and thinly sliced
2 cups corn kernels, shaved from 2 ears corn
1 cucumber, peeled, seeded (if seeds are mature), and thinly sliced
1 jalapeño chile, seeded and thinly sliced
1 shallot, thinly sliced
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons champagne vinegar
1/2 cup Kale Pesto (recipe here)
4 ounces mild, soft goat cheese (like feta), crumbled
- Heat the olive oil in a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat until it shimmers.
- Season the scallops with salt and pepper.
- Sear the scallops on both sides for 1 to 2 minutes, but don’t overcook.
- Transfer to a platter.
- In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, bell peppers, corn, cucumber, jalapeño, and shallot.
- Drizzle the oil and vinegar over them, season with salt and pepper, and toss.
- Divide among serving plates.
- Add the scallops and garnish each scallop with about a teaspoon of the Kale Pesto.
- Sprinkle on the goat cheese before serving.