Nutrients Per Serving
Protein: 2.2 grams
Fat: 8.0 grams
Saturated Fat: 0.8 grams
Monounsat Fat: 2.7 grams
Polyunsat Fat: 4.1 grams
Carbohydrate: 6.2 grams
Fiber: 2.2 grams
Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
Vitamin A: 69.9 IU
This vegetarian recipe is filled with flavor and is great on a special occasion or as an everyday spread!
Traditional pâtés are often made from high-fat meats and liver. They can be delicious and quite elegant, but less than nutritious. This vegetarian version is sophisticated, filled with flavor, and healthful. Enjoy it on a special occasion or as an everyday spread with whole-grain crackers.
Food as Medicine
Eggplant contains an anthocyanin called nasunin, a powerful antioxidant that can protect cell membranes from damage by free radicals.
1 large eggplant
1 cup walnut pieces
2 teaspoons fresh ginger root, peeled, grated and finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, mashed
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
Salt and hot pepper sauce to taste
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Pierce the eggplant with a fork in several places and bake until very soft, about 45 minutes.
- While the eggplant is baking, grind the walnuts in a food processor until very fine, and set aside.
- Remove the eggplant from oven, slash to let steam escape, drain off any liquid, and scrape the pulp into a food processor with the ginger root, garlic and olive oil. Process until smooth.
- Add the ground walnuts and allspice, and process until smooth.
- Season to taste with the salt, and hot pepper sauce. Spoon into a small loaf dish and chill several hours or until firm.