Nutrients Per Serving
Protein: 5.3 grams
Fat: 9.3 grams
Saturated Fat: 1.2 grams
Monounsat Fat: 5.1 grams
Polyunsat Fat: 2.5 grams
Carbohydrate: 61.6 grams
Fiber: 4.0 grams
Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
Vitamin A: 6,902.6 IU
Vitamin E: 1.3 mg/IU
Vitamin C: 8.4 mg
Calcium: 25.0 mg
Magnesium: 46.1 mg
Most carrot cakes are laden with fat and sugar, but here’s one that features a modest amount of olive oil, along with other healthy ingredients.This version of carrot cake is healthy, using a small amount of olive oil and a full cup of honey for flavor!
Carrot cake is a perennial favorite, but it is often loaded with vegetable oil and laden with a cream cheese frosting. Our version is healthier, using a small amount of olive oil, a full cup of honey for moistness and flavor, and a combination of whole wheat pastry and unbleached flours. The crunchy walnuts even add a bit of omega-3 fats to this sweet treat. With a cup of hot green tea, this cake will make you forget about cream cheese frosting. Enjoy!
Food as Medicine
Carrots are excellent sources of vitamin A, and good sources vitamins C and K, fiber and potassium.
2 cups firmly packed finely grated carrots
Juice of 1 large orange
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/4 cup light olive oil
1 cup honey, liquefied in microwave (30 seconds)
1/2 cup crushed or chopped pineapple, drained
1 cup unbleached white flour
1 1/2 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
3/4 cup walnuts, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a mixing bowl, stir together the carrots, orange juice, vanilla, olive oil, honey, and pineapple until well blended.
- In another bowl, stir together the flours, baking soda, and spices. Mix in the walnuts.
- Blend the dry ingredients into the carrot mixture, stirring until just mixed.
- Pour the batter into a nonstick 8-inch-square baking pan and bake for 45-60 minutes until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven, let cool slightly, and remove from pan.