Braised Broccoli, Orange & Parmesan
Makes 4-6 Servings
Nutritional information per serving:
Saturated Fat: 1.5g
Monounsaturated Fat: 2.6g
A True Food Kitchen restaurant exclusive! My children like broccoli, and because it is so healthy I am happy to give it to them on a regular basis. With my kids, simpler is usually better, but in this case, the sweet-and-sour effect of the orange and tomato juices combined with a sprinkle of fresh Parmesan makes them really love this dish. No vegetable suffers more from overcooking than broccoli, so watch it carefully! (True Food Kitchen chef, Michael Stebner)
1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
1 14-ounce can San Marzano crushed tomatoes
1 head broccoli, cut into florets, stalks peeled
1/4 teaspoon chopped oregano
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano shavings
- Combine the orange juice and tomatoes in a medium pot over medium-high heat.
- Bring to a boil and then add the broccoli. Add the oregano and pepper flakes.
- Cover and cook until tender yet still crisp and bright green, about 3 minutes.
- Remove the lid and season with the salt and pepper.
- Transfer to a serving dish. Drizzle with the olive oil, sprinkle on the Parmesan shavings, and serve.