Apricots & Red Quinoa
Serves 6-8 + gluten free
Nutrients Per Serving:
Fat 9.0 grams
Saturated Fat 2.0 grams
(25.2% of calories from fat)
Protein 12.6 grams
Carbohydrate 47.1 grams
Cholesterol 86.7 mgs
Fiber 4.9 grams
Recipe courtesy of Hollyhock, from the cookbook Hollyhock Garden to Table.
Tender baked apricots nestle like yolks on top of this lightly sweetened quinoa pudding.
Tender baked apricots nestle like yolks on top of this lightly sweetened quinoa pudding, dotted with crunchy almonds and chewy dried fruit. Just one more reason to get up in the morning.
2 cups milk or dairy alternative
2 cups cooked red quinoa
1/3 cup dried blueberries, cranberries, cherries or currants
3 tbsp honey or maple syrup
zest of one lemon
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp almond extract
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/3 cup chopped toasted almonds
4 fresh apricots
- Preheat oven to 350°
- In a large bowl, whisk together the milk and eggs.
- Add the quinoa, dried fruit, honey or maple syrup, lemon zest, vanilla and almond extracts, and cinnamon.
- Pour into a lightly oiled deep-dish pie plate.
- Spread the chopped almonds evenly over the top.
- Slice the apricots in half, discard pit and arrange open-face down over the top of the pudding. They will look a bit like egg yolks sitting on top.
- Bake for 50 minutes or until the center of the pudding appears to be set. Allow to cool for 5 minutes before serving.
– Moreka Jolar