Grilled Fish With Tropical Relish
Fat 9 g
Saturated fat 1 g (35% of calories from fat)
Protein 36.5 g
Carbohydrate 13 g
Cholesterol 54 mg
Fiber 2 g
This recipe is from The Healthy Kitchen – Recipes for a Better Body, Life, and Spirit (Hardcover) by Andrew Weil, M.D. and Rosie Daley (Knopf)
The tropical relish in this recipe is more to my liking than a pure fruit topping because the sweetness of the mango is offset by the robust tartness of the capers, vinegar, and salsa, and the basil provides an unexpected, spicy note.
Food as Medicine
Omega-3s, found in both cod and halibut (a four-ounce serving of cod contains 13 percent of the Daily Value and the same serving of halibut contains 26 percent), protect against fatal heart arrhythmia, or erratic heart rhythms. The omega-3s in cod, halibut and other fish also improve the ratio of HDL (“good”) to LDL (“bad”) cholesterol, as well as help to prevent cholesterol deposits on artery walls. Basil, a main component in the relish, is full of volatile oils such as estragole and limonene, known antibacterials.
4 fish fillets, such as cod or halibut, about 6 ounces each
1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 ripe mango, peeled, pitted, and finely chopped
1 sweet onion, finely chopped
1 red bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
1 bunch fresh basil, chopped
1 tablespoon capers, drained
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon salsa
- Rinse the fish fillets under cold running water and pat them dry.
- Brush them with the olive oil and season them with salt and pepper.
- Preheat grill or broiler.
- Meanwhile, prepare the relish: Stir together the mango, onions, peppers, basil, capers, vinegar, and salsa in a bowl.
- Grill the fish on high heat or broil, about 2 – 3 minutes per side or until desired doneness.
- Spoon the relish over the grilled or broiled fish.
Want more healthy, delicious recipes? Join the Dr. Weil on Healthy Aging online guide for access to hundreds of anti-inflammatory recipes and our exclusive eating guides. Sign up today and get 14 days free!