7 Ways To Address Sleep Apnea
Yesterday’s Daily Tip covered some common symptoms of sleep apnea. Today, we take a closer look at ways to address this sleep disorder and its symptoms. There are many options available to help address apnea, including lifestyle measures to lose weight and simple medical devices that can be worn at night to keep the airways open. Dr. Weil recommends these tactics for tackling sleep apnea:
- If you’re overweight, focus on the excess pounds. According to the American Sleep Foundation, even a 10 percent weight loss can reduce the nightly breathing interruptions.
- Avoid alcohol in the evening and night leading up to bedtime.
- Talk to your pharmacist and doctor about the side effects from any medications you are taking.
- Transition from the use of sleeping pills. Consider lower side effect options such as meditation, a small dose of melatonin, or seek out counsel from an integrative medicine provider to discuss herbal options.
- Develop good sleep habits, including sleeping on your side, minimizing the use of screens leading up to sleep, and developing – and sticking with – a bedtime and sleep schedule. Try sleeping in a 100% completely dark room. If you have small and seemingly insignificant lights from electronic devices, you may be surprised how they can impact your sleep.
- Find a dentist that specializes in sleep. Some dentists can provide you with a thorough airway evaluation and determine if an oral appliance might be an option for you.
- Get a sleep evaluation. This used to require spending a night in a sleep facility, during which brain waves, eye movement, breathing and other vital functions are monitored. Now some sleep specialists utilize at home testing for several nights in a row to fully evaluate your sleep in your typical environment. Ask your doctor about options for evaluation.
In addition, use this opportunity to focus on lifestyle improvement through a focus on a whole foods diet, regular moderate exercise and healthy lifestyle choices.
Learn more: How To Get Deep Sleep Naturally.
Today’s Health Topics
Ask Dr. Weil's Q&A
|Radiant & Rested|
|Discover Dr. Weil for Origins Mega-Mushroom Relief & Resilience Soothing Treatment Lotion. It's a light, soothing, watery lotion with Reishi, Sea Buckthorn & Fermented Chaga that perfectly preps skin for serum & moisturizer. Leaves your skin softer & healthier-looking.|