The eye is a highly complex and sensitive organ that requires a careful combination of nutrients, protection, exercise and rest for optimal function. In addition to an antioxidant-rich diet and prudent supplementation, consider the following healthy habits to help maintain visual health:
- Don’t smoke, and avoid exposure to secondhand smoke. Smoking can decrease blood supply to the eyes by causing blood vessels to narrow and blood to thicken.
- Protect the eyes from the elements. Sunlight can damage the cells of the macula, which provides visual acuity in the center of our vision. Wear a wide-brimmed hat and sunglasses that protect against at least 99 percent of ultraviolet (UV) rays.
- Use safety eyewear when working around potential hazards to help protect against eye injuries.
- Stay active. Regular exercise promotes eye health by improving circulation and lowering the risk of diabetes.
- Keep blood pressure in check. High blood pressure increases the risk of glaucoma. Consider medication if lifestyle changes can’t bring blood pressure into the normal range.
Dr. Weil’s Vitamin Advisor has supplements and herbs specifically for healthy vision – visit today and see if they are recommended for you.
Everyone's dietary needs are different based on a number of factors including lifestyle, diet, medications and more. To find out what vitamins you need, take the Weil Vitamin Advisor. This 3-step questionnaire requires just minutes to complete, and generates a free, no-obligation vitamin and nutritional supplement recommendation that is personalized to meet your unique nutritional needs.
Eating for Your Eyes?
Want to promote healthy vision? An anti-inflammatory diet provides nutrients eyes need to stay healthy, and Dr. Weil on Healthy Aging has everything you need to get started: hundreds of delicious anti-inflammatory recipes, eating and shopping guides, and seasonal food suggestions. Simple steps to better health – we make it easy! Start your 14-day free trial today and save 30% when you become a member!
Want A Healthy Heart? Avoid This One Food
Feeling Anxious? Consider Trying Reflexology 10/23/2016
Does Cinnamon Have Health Benefits For Diabetics? 10/22/2016
Want To Promote A Healthy Heart? Eat More Onions! 10/21/2016
2 Supplements That May Promote Healthy, Full Hair 10/20/2016
|Click here to subscribe.|