If you suffer from frequent heartburn – twice a week or more – you may have gastroesophageal reflux disease, or GERD. This condition occurs in people whose lower esophageal sphincter doesn’t close properly, allowing stomach acid to backflow into the esophagus, causing a burning sensation in the chest and neck areas. It can also cause nausea, coughing, belching, a bitter taste and respiratory problems, including aggravation of asthma. Diet, stress, smoking and pregnancy can all trigger or worsen symptoms.
If you think you have GERD, see a doctor to rule out other concerns, such as angina, which has similar symptoms. Discuss any medications you are taking: some can trigger reflux. If you want to naturally treat GERD try the following:
- Keep a food and beverage journal. It can help you identify, track and later avoid triggers.
- Eat small, frequent meals.
- Wear loose clothing and maintain a healthy weight. Both can prevent stomach constriction and help reduce GERD.
- Avoid lying down after eating.
- Practice relaxation techniques such as breathing exercises.
- Sip chamomile tea. It can help soothe inflamed tissue in the esophagus.
- Try sleeping on your left side. This may help move acid away from the entrance of the esophagus. Raising the head of the bed by a few inches can also help.
Everyone's dietary needs are different based on a number of factors including lifestyle, diet, medications and more. To find out what vitamins you need, take the Weil Vitamin Advisor. This 3-step questionnaire requires just minutes to complete, and generates a free, no-obligation vitamin and nutritional supplement recommendation that is personalized to meet your unique nutritional needs.
Happy? Serene? Content?
No? You can be, with Dr. Weil’s new website, SpontaneousHappiness.com. This eight-week plan features simple, effective and natural lifestyle changes that may help relieve mild depression, as well as anxiety and stress. Weekly videos, checklists, tools and more guide you on the path to serenity and contentment. Start your free trial today!
Want To Increase Your Stamina? This Exercise Can Help!
4 Ways To Minimize Inflammation, From Foods To Fats 08/16/2016
Is There Such A Thing As A Safe Facelift? 08/25/2016
See What Dr. Weil Grows In His Garden In Summertime! 08/26/2016
Are You Eating Chia? Find Out Why You Should! 08/15/2016
|Click here to subscribe.|