All About True Food Kitchen
True Food Kitchen Factsheet
History: Andrew Weil, M.D., met Phoenix restaurateur Sam Fox in the late 1990s at one of Fox’s restaurants in Tucson (Fox Restaurant Concepts operates 25 restaurants in Arizona and the Midwest). After spending time with Dr. Weil, and in particular after cooking with him at his ranch, Fox came to understand how delicious healthy food can be, and realized that Dr. Weil’s concept for a restaurant – one that serves great food that just happens to be good for you – could work. On Oct. 27, 2008, the first True Food Kitchen opened in Phoenix, Ariz. It was an immediate success, and inspired Fox and Dr. Weil to open new locations in the southwest, with the long-term goal of a national rollout.
Concept: All True Food Kitchen locations feature dishes that closely adhere to the principles of Dr. Weil’s anti-inflammatory diet. They are intended to be a new kind of restaurant: one in which delicious flavors, healthy nutrients, environmental awareness and an inviting atmosphere come together to create an unforgettable dining experience.
Dishes are influenced by Mediterranean, Asian and Californian cuisine, and include soups, appetizers, salads, pasta, rice and noodle dishes, wood grilled dishes, sandwiches and burgers, brick oven pizzas and desserts.
Sample dishes: Wild Smoked Salmon with Shaved Radishes; Lemon Cream & Wasabi Peas; Sashimi Tuna Salad with Avocado, Cucumber, Tomato, Edamame & Ginger; Curry Chicken with Rice Noodles; Tuscan Kale Salad; Cauliflower & Cashews; Herbed Hummus; Green Tea Soba Noodles with Peas; Bok Choy & Lemongrass; Fresh Tomato Pizza with Pasilla Chile & Manchego; Grilled Wild Ahi Sliders with Wasabi, Radishes and Cucumber on Pumpernickel; and Natural Half Chicken with Farro, Walnuts, Dried Fig, Brussels Sprouts & Squash.
Each location features catering, take out, breakfast, a selection of coffee drinks, natural juice blends, hot and cold tea, sparkling wine cocktails, organic and low-calorie beer and sake. All wines are selected based on wineries’ commitment to organic, biodynamic and/or sustainable farming practices.
Engrained in True Food Kitchen’s ethos is a commitment to a conscious, community-based dining experience – a commitment that ensures that, no matter how many locations are established, True Food will never become what one thinks of as a “chain.”
- All True Food Kitchen locations use local, organic sources whenever possible. For example, the Phoenix location receives most of its produce from McClendon Farms, a 25-acre, USDA-certified organic produce farm in Peoria, Arizona.
Green features: The restaurants are decidedly “green” with environmentally friendly accoutrement including:
- High efficiency kitchen equipment
- Low voltage LED lighting
- Waterless urinals (saving 40,000 gallons/year)
- Ultra low water faucets
- Low VOC paint
- White oak butcher block tables and counter tops
- Reclaimed wood floors
- Recycled quarry tiles
- Natura water purification unit. (True Food Kitchen creates both still and carbonated bottled water in-house. Bottles are cleaned, sterilized and reused, eliminating plastic bottle waste).
True Food Kitchen Locations
(more information and menus at True Food Kitchen‘s website):
- Phoenix, Arizona (opened Oct. 2008)
Biltmore Fashion Park
2502 E Camelback Rd.
Phoenix, AZ 85016
See some photos of the Phoenix location.
- Scottsdale, Arizona (opened Nov. 2010)
15191 N Scottsdale Rd.
Scottsdale, AZ 85254
See some photos of the Scottsdale location.
- Newport Beach, California (opened Aug. 2010)
451 Newport Center Dr.
Newport Beach, CA 92660
See some photos of the Newport Beach location.
- Santa Monica, California (opened May 2011)
Santa Monica Place
395 Santa Monica Place, Suite 172
Santa Monica, CA 90401
- San Diego, California (opened July, 2012)
Fashion Valley Mall
7007 Friars Road, Suite 394
San Diego, California 92108
- Denver, Colorado (opened October, 2012)
2800 E. 2nd Ave
Denver, Colorado 80206
See some photos of the Denver location.
- Dallas, Texas (opened November, 2013)
Plaza at Preston Center
8383 Preston Center Plaza Dr. #100
Dallas, Texas 75225
- Atlanta, Georgia (opened June, 2014)
3393 Peachtree Rd. NE, Suite 3058B
Atlanta, Georgia 30326
- Houston, Texas (opened August., 2014)
BLVD Place 1700 Post Oak Boulevard
Houston, Texas 77056
- Fairfax, Virginia (opened September, 2014)
2910 District Ave #170
Fairfax, Virginia 22031
- El Segundo, California (opened Summer, 2015)
The Point, El Segundo
860 South Sepulveda, Ste 100
El Segundo, California 90245
- Pasadena, California (opened Spring, 2016)
168 West Colorado Blvd.
Pasadena, California 91105
- Palo Alto, California (opened Fall, 2016)
180 El Camino Real Suite 1140
Palo Alto, California 94304
See some photos of the Palo Alto location.
- Walnut Creek, California (opened Fall, 2016)
120 Broadway Lane Building #4 Space #1044
Walnut Creek, California 94596
See some photos of the Walnut Creek location.
- Chicago, Illinois (opened Fall, 2016)
1 West Erie Street
Chicago, Illinois 60654
Many more coming soon! Check True Food Kitchen for current and future openings.