6 Simple Ways To Make Pizza Healthier
This tip is courtesy of Dr. Weil on Healthy Aging. Get more healthy eating information – start your free trial today!
Pizza is a classic comfort food that has been around for centuries (though it became popular in the U.S. only after returning World War II soldiers demanded the food they had loved in Italy). Pizza is fairly easy to make at home, and when you do, you control the ingredients and therefore the health benefits. Whether you bake pizza at home or have it delivered, use the following suggestions to maximize its health benefits:
- Choose whole-wheat crust made with bits of cracked grain, not just whole-wheat flour. If this is not an option, opt for the thinnest crust possible. Give a trial to some of the more creative crust ideas, like cauliflower.
- Use organic, high-quality varieties of full fat cheese.
- Avoid sausage or pepperoni – they are high in sodium and often contain preservatives like sodium nitrite.
- Go for the veggies – they are naturally high in fiber and antioxidants, and will help fill you up while still satisfying your taste buds.
- Use fresh herbs – a low-calorie, no-sodium way to add flavor and zest.
- Top with red pepper flakes – they are naturally anti-inflammatory!
Today’s Health Topics
Ask Dr. Weil's Q&A
|Start Eating Anti-Inflammatory And Save 30%! A healthy lifestyle and following Dr. Weil's Anti-Inflammatory Diet can help reduce the risk of age-related concerns such as heart disease, Alzheimer's and many forms of cancer, as well as help promote a healthy immune system. Begin your 14-day free trial of Dr. Weil on Healthy Aging for access to anti-inflammatory shopping guides, eating tips, recipes, interactive tools, videos and more.|