Want To Promote Healthy Lungs? Try These 6 Ideas
Most people breathe about 20,000 times per day – more if they are exercising strenuously. Don’t take your lungs for granted; instead, take good care of them by doing the following:
- Minimize irritants. Pollution, bacteria, viruses, molds, chemical and gas fumes…all can aggravate your lungs. Use a high-efficiency particulate air (HEPA) filter at home to filter out irritants, especially if you have pets. Opt for natural cleaning agents as opposed to ones that may irritate the lungs. Always pay attention to air quality measures at home, natural events like forest fires can significantly impact the air you breath and increase irritation. Follow your local guidance and act accordingly.
- Eat antioxidant-rich fruits and vegetables. Apples, oranges and tomatoes can nourish the lungs, and the carotenes in carrots, yellow squash and dark leafy greens may help protect against lung cancer.
- Exercise. Regular fitness strengthens breathing muscles and improves the respiratory system while adding a detoxifying effect. If you have lung problems, talk with your physician about a fitness program best suited for you or work with a rehab specialist to find the sweet spot of exertion that is not too much.
- Do breathing exercises. Try taking slow, deep, regular breaths, and extend each exhalation to squeeze out more air. Make this a daily habit.
- Stop smoking/vaping. Avoid first- and second-hand smoke. Both can lead to all sorts of respiratory damage including lung cancer development. Do not consider vaping a cleaner version, but do consider vaping if it will ultimately lead to breaking your cigarette habit.
- Clean out your lungs. Drinking pure water can help to rid your lungs of germs, irritants and toxins. Also seek out parks in your area or other outdoor venues where you are most likely to enjoy clean, fresh air at least several times a week – or daily, if possible.
To learn more about healthy lungs, visit the Respiratory section on DrWeil.com.
Today’s Health Topics
Ask Dr. Weil's Q&A