5 Supplements That Support Healthy Vision
In addition to following an anti-inflammatory diet rich in antioxidants – certain supplements can help maintain the health of your eyes. Try these five:
- Vitamin C. This potent antioxidant helps prevent damage to the eye from free radical formation, may delay the progression of age-related macular degeneration (AMD), can help lower pressure in the eye that’s associated with glaucoma, and reduces the likelihood of developing cataracts.
- Vitamin E. Along with vitamin C, zinc, and beta-carotene, vitamin E has been shown to prevent the development of macular degeneration. Be certain to look for a supplement containing mixed tocopherols not just d-tocopherol.
- Zinc. In supplement form, this mineral may help slow the development of AMD, probably by combating free radicals that can damage cells in the eye.
- Bilberry. An extract of this fruit, a close relative of the blueberry, provides concentrated flavonoid compounds that may help halt the progression of AMD.
- Pycnogenol. This extract of the bark of the French maritime pine (Pinus pinaster) contains proanthocyanidins, which may be useful in maintaining eye health by supporting and maintaining the natural regeneration of rhodopsin, a purple pigment of the retina used for night vision.
Today’s Health Topics
Ask Dr. Weil's Q&A