6 Natural Supplements For Reducing Unhealthy Stress
If you want to reduce unhealthy stress, start by identifying the problems and situations that create stress, then learn to manage them by practicing general techniques of stress protection, such as breathing exercises. As for supplements, consider the following:
- B-complex. B vitamins can help balance mood, calm the nervous system, and increase the efficacy of certain prescription antidepressants.
- Omega-3 (fish oil) supplement from molecularly distilled fish oil. A deficiency in omega-3 fatty acids has been associated with increased anxiety and depression.
- Valerian (Valeriana officinalis). An extract from the root of this flowering perennial contains essential oils that have been shown to help some people more effectively deal with stress, particularly if feeling anxious is significant.
- Calcium and magnesium. Both are involved in many key physiological processes and may help support healthy sleep, as well as muscle relaxation. Look for combination products using the citrate form of each of these.
- St. John’s wort (Hypericum perforatum). Extracts of this flowering herb, indigenous to Europe, may help boost mood and maintain a healthy emotional outlook. Note that you may need to take this for four to six weeks before judging its effectiveness. Be certain to discuss this option with your healthcare provider if on other medications, particularly antidepressants.
- L-theanine. This extract of tea can help promote a sense of calm and relaxation without sedation. This is a clean supplement in that you can use it on days that are more stressful only and has a relatively quick onset of action. There is no habit-forming or fatigue side effect.
Today’s Health Topics
Ask Dr. Weil's Q&A
|Visit Our Updated Origins Shop Experience!|
|Dr. Weil believes inflammation is the root cause of visible skin concerns like irritation. He also believes mushrooms have the power to fight irritation. That's why he partnered with Origins to create these Mega-Mushroom Formulas.|