5 Natural Ideas For Energy
If you feel worn down or lack energy due to a hectic schedule and day-to-day stressors, learn how to fight fatigue naturally. Taking a few minutes for yourself and performing simple breathing exercises can be helpful, as can daily moderate physical activity and getting adequate rest. Certain nutrients, botanicals and other compounds can support your efforts to recharge yourself or at least lessen the effects of general fatigue. Experiment with the following:
- Magnesium. Oral magnesium supplementation has been shown to help reduce symptoms of fatigue in persons with low magnesium levels. Look for magnesium citrate, chelate, or glycinate. Avoid magnesium oxide, which can be irritating to the digestive tract. High doses can have a laxative effect or loosen stools which can be helpful if your bowels are sluggish, but if they become too loose step down your dosage.
- Eleuthero (Eleutherococcussenticosus or Acanthopanax senticosus), also known as Siberian ginseng. Studies show that eleuthero can help enhance thinking and memory as well as physical endurance.
- Coenzyme Q10. This vital nutrient is involved in cellular energy production throughout the body. It also energizes muscles, like the heart and skeletal muscle to aid in your exercise tolerance and fitness. Look for the ubiquinol form of CoQ10.
- Ashwagandha, an Ayurvedic herb prized for its ability to help the body deal with stress. Commonly, ashwagandha is found along with eleuthero in combination adrenal support products which may better support the body over choosing a single ingredient.
- Cordyceps, a traditional Chinese medicinal mushroom that may help fight fatigue and boost energy levels. There are now some commercially available cordyceps “coffee” drinks to use as a pick-me-up without the caffeine.
Today’s Health Topics
Ask Dr. Weil's Q&A
|Follow Dr. Weil On Facebook|
|Find the very latest on a variety of topics, including healthy living, longevity, well-being, recipes - as well as photos of Dr. Weil’s daily life, gardening adventures and wellness travels. Follow on Facebook today! You can also find him on Instagram and Twitter.|