Powerful Ways Drinking Water Can Boost Health
Want to promote healthy skin and proper digestion? Interested in a natural detoxifier? Water is a basic necessity. The body is more than two-thirds water, and keeping it hydrated is vital. Other reasons to have water as a regular part of your day include:
- Healthy blood and bones. Your blood is over 80 percent water and your bones are over 50 percent water. Proper hydration is required to optimize creation and maintenance of new blood and bone cells.
- Toxin elimination. Skip the fancy (and costly) detox plans. Plain water naturally helps remove toxins through the lymphatic system, intestines and kidneys.
- Lubricated joints. Water helps protect against wear and tear and can even help reduce joint pain.
- Proper digestion. Water helps prevent constipation by adding softness to stools and fluid to the colon.
- Alertness. Even minor dehydration can lead to headaches, irritability, impaired concentration and fatigue. The human brain is 85 percent water; keeping it hydrated is essential for proper functioning.
- Healthy skin. Water hydrates from the inside out, helping to maintain elasticity of the skin and support this essential body barrier.
The standard recommendation is to drink at least eight 8-ounce glasses a day. I don’t believe there is solid evidence that such a high volume is essential for everyone. However, do drink throughout each day – this is easier if you keep a large glass or glass water bottle handy at all times. I have always recommended drinking high-quality water from a trustworthy source, or, if possible, getting a water-purification system for your home. It is always a good practice to regularly have your tap water tested to ensure it’s free of concern. If you are trying to wean yourself from soda, consider switching it out for sparkling water with a lime as a refreshing, healthful alternative. Learn more about quality drinking water.
Today’s Health Topics
Ask Dr. Weil's Q&A