5 Supplements To Help Promote Healthy Vision
In addition to following an anti-inflammatory diet rich in antioxidants – certain supplements can help maintain the health of your eyes. Try these five:
- Vitamin C. This potent antioxidant helps prevent damage to the eye from free radical formation, thereby supporting the protection against age-related macular degeneration (AMD), helping lower pressure in the eye that’s associated with glaucoma, and reducing the likelihood of developing cataracts.
- Vitamin E. Along with vitamin C, zinc, and beta-carotene, vitamin E has been shown to prevent the development of macular degeneration. Look for a supplement containing mixed tocopherols.
- Zinc. In supplement form, this mineral may help slow the development of AMD, probably by combating free radicals that can damage cells in the eye.
- Bilberry. An extract of this fruit, a close relative of the blueberry, provides concentrated flavonoid compounds that may help halt the progression of AMD.
- Pycnogenol. This extract of the bark of the French maritime pine (Pinus pinaster) contains proanthocyanidins, which may be useful in maintaining eye health by supporting and maintaining the natural regeneration of rhodopsin, a purple pigment of the retina used for night vision.
Today’s Health Topics
Ask Dr. Weil's Q&A
|Join Dr. Weil On Instagram!|
|See the latest pictures and videos of Dr. Weil’s daily life, gardening adventures and wellness journey. Share in his love of traveling, cooking, gardening and meeting new people. Follow along on Instagram today! You can also find him on Facebook and Twitter.|