No Choice But To Eat Fast Food? Go With These 5 Suggestions
This tip is courtesy of Dr. Weil on Healthy Aging: Your Online Guide To The Anti-Inflammatory Diet. Get more nutrition and health advice – and save 30% – when you start your 14-day free trial!
Even if you are diligent about packing healthful foods when traveling, or finding restaurants with nutritious choices when eating out, there may be times when your healthy dining options are limited. While I suggest you avoid eating fast food entirely, if you must, please keep the following in mind when ordering:
- No matter how hungry you are, you are better off ordering a small amount of food and making up for it with healthier foods later.
- Pile on the lettuce, tomato and other vegetables that come with your order, to add some fiber and antioxidants. If choosing a sandwich, opt for going bun-free, I know of no fast food restaurant that has truly whole grains anywhere in the kitchen.
- Go for the salad – this option is now commonly available at fast-food establishments. The dressings are often soybean oil based, ask for a side of salsa to use as dressing.
- Ask to see a list of the nutritional content of menu items. Some restaurants have them posted – if they don’t, ask for them, and then ask yourself if you really want to eat there.
- Don’t forget that the grocery store makes a perfect fast food option. Run in and pick up some cheese, nuts or plain yogurt.
Don’t miss tomorrow’s Daily Tip, when we discuss the worst fast-food choices.
Today’s Health Topics
|Start Eating Anti-Inflammatory And Save 30%! A healthy lifestyle and following Dr. Weil's Anti-Inflammatory Diet can help reduce the risk of age-related concerns such as heart disease, Alzheimer's and many forms of cancer, as well as help promote a healthy immune system. Begin your 14-day free trial of Dr. Weil on Healthy Aging for access to anti-inflammatory shopping guides, eating tips, recipes, interactive tools, videos and more.|