Healthy Resolution for 2018: Quality Rest And Sleep
Rest is as important as physical activity for general health. Identify periods during the day when you can be passive, without stimulation, doing nothing, and make time for them. Consider the following when planning rest into your schedule:
- Try to get into the habit of napping: ten to twenty minutes in the afternoon, preferably lying down in a darkened room. You could also find a parking lot to recline your seat, apply an eye mask and grab a quick recharge for the rest of the day.
- Spend some time outdoors as often as you can to get exposure to bright, natural light. If you are concerned about harmful effects of solar radiation, do it before ten in the morning or after three in the afternoon or use sunscreen during the hours in between.
- Try to give yourself about an hour in dim light before you go to sleep at night. Lower the lighting in your house and bedroom. If other members of the household object, wear sunglasses, particularly the blue-blocking orange lenses.
- Avoid screen time within the hour before sleep and make your bedroom as dark as possible while sleeping.
- Pay attention to sleep hygiene. Consider all the details of lifestyle, including intake of caffeine and bedroom design, that affect the quality of sleep. When you are ready to go to sleep, try to keep your bedroom completely dark.
Today’s Health Topics
Related Weil Products
Everyone's dietary needs are different based on a number of factors including lifestyle, diet, medications and more. To find out what vitamins you need, take the Weil Vitamin Advisor. This 3-step questionnaire requires just minutes to complete, and generates a free, no-obligation vitamin and nutritional supplement recommendation that is personalized to meet your unique nutritional needs.Get Started