Eat Your Way To Healthy Hair With These 5 Foods
Whole foods rich in protein, omega-3 fatty acids, zinc and biotin may help promote a healthy scalp and hair. Add these foods to your grocery cart – think of them as ingredients in a healthy hair recipe!
- Dark leafy greens. Kale, Swiss chard, spinach and other dark leafy greens are good sources of vitamins A and C, which the body needs to produce the oily substance sebum, a natural conditioner for your hair.
- Salmon. Omega-3 fatty acids, of which wild-caught salmon is an excellent source, are important to a healthy scalp. Salmon (always look for wild Alaskan or sockeye salmon) is also a good source of protein. If you don’t like the taste of fish, try a high-quality fish oil supplement.
- Beans and legumes. They are a good source of protein which helps promote hair growth, as well as iron, biotin and zinc. (Biotin deficiencies can occasionally result in brittle hair.)
- Nuts. Specific varieties of nuts contain vitamins and minerals that can help promote the health of your scalp. Brazil nuts are a good source of selenium (limit yourself to no more than two Brazil nuts per day). Walnuts provide the omega-3 fatty acid alpha-linolenic acid, which may help condition your hair, as well as zinc, which can minimize hair shedding. Cashews, almonds and pecans are other hair-healthy choices. Aim for raw varieties as often as you can, or lightly toast it yourself if an added crunch is preferred.
- Eggs. A good source of protein, which helps prevent dry, weak and brittle hair. Choose organic, omega-3 fortified eggs from cage-free hens.
Today’s Health Topics
Cleanse & Comfort Skin Discover Dr. Weil for Origins Mega-Bright Skin Illuminating Cleanser. This refreshing, foaming cleanser gently purifies skin and melts dulling, potentially discoloring dirt and debris. Skin is perfectly prepared for brightening treatments to follow. Shop & get a FREE sample of NEW Mega-Defense UV Defender w/ $30 order at Origins.com. Use code WEIL12 at checkout.
Related Weil Products
Everyone's dietary needs are different based on a number of factors including lifestyle, diet, medications and more. To find out what vitamins you need, take the Weil Vitamin Advisor. This 3-step questionnaire requires just minutes to complete, and generates a free, no-obligation vitamin and nutritional supplement recommendation that is personalized to meet your unique nutritional needs.Get Started