When you thank your friends and family this holiday season, the reasons to do so may extend beyond good wishes, and actually benefit you and your health. Study after study has shown that social connections – through family, friends or with companion animals – seem to pay off in terms of good health, longevity and even prolonged survival among patients with very serious diseases. Some evidence linking good health with strong ties to family and friends includes:
- The immune system’s natural killer cell activity is negatively affected by three "distress indicators" – one of which is lack of social support.
- One study of 75 medical students found that those who were lonely had more sluggish natural killer cells that help destroy cells infected with virus and cancer cells than students who were social.
- Research has shown that people who care for companion animals have less illness than people who do not. Companion animals’ owners also recover from serious illness faster.
- Susceptibility to heart attacks appears to correlate with how often people use the words "I," "me" and "mine" in casual speech.
- Believe it or not, studies show that people who get out and spend more time with others during cold and flu season actually get fewer episodes of colds or flu than those who choose to be alone.
- Being grateful – and expressing that gratitude – for what you have has been associated with both physical and emotional health.
Everyone's dietary needs are different based on a number of factors including lifestyle, diet, medications and more. To find out what vitamins you need, take the Weil Vitamin Advisor. This 3-step questionnaire requires just minutes to complete, and generates a free, no-obligation vitamin and nutritional supplement recommendation that is personalized to meet your unique nutritional needs.
The Healthiest Cooking Method Made Easy!
The Dr. Weil Healthy Kitchen Electronic Food Steamer features a two-level operation that makes your whole meal preparation a snap. An automatic timer and stay-warm feature make steaming foods easier than ever. Learn more…
Election Season Stressing You Out? 7 Ways To Instill Some Calm
Help Promote Healthy, Strong Bones With These 4 Foods 9/23/2016
More Ways Women Can Age Gracefully and Healthfully 9/22/2016
Healthy Aging Tips For Women, Part 1 9/21/2016
A Natural Solution For Seasonal Aches And Pains 9/20/2016
|Click here to subscribe.|