Every Monday throughout April we will present tips related to personal care – pass them along to family and friends!
Whole foods rich in protein, omega-3 fatty acids, zinc and biotin may help promote a healthy scalp and hair. Add these foods to your grocery cart – think of them as ingredients in a healthy hair recipe!
- Dark leafy greens. Kale, Swiss chard, spinach and other dark leafy greens are good sources of vitamins A and C, which the body needs to produce the oily substance sebum, a natural conditioner for your hair.
- Salmon. Omega-3 fatty acids, of which salmon is an excellent source, are important to a healthy scalp. Salmon (choose wild Alaskan salmon) is also a good source of protein. If you don’t like the taste of fish, try a high-quality fish oil supplement ora high-quality fish oil supplement, or two tablespoons of freshly ground flaxseed instead.
- Beans and legumes. They are a good source of protein which helps promote hair growth, as well as iron, biotin and zinc. (Biotin deficiencies can occasionally result in brittle hair.)
- Nuts. Specific varieties of nuts contain vitamins and minerals that can help promote the health of your scalp. Brazil nuts are a good source of selenium (limit yourself to no more than two nuts per day). Walnuts provide the omega-3 fatty acid alpha-linolenicacid, which may help condition your hair, as well as zinc, which can minimize hair shredding. Cashews, almonds and pecans are other hair-healthy choices. Aim for raw varieties as often as you can.
- Eggs. A good source of protein, which helps prevent dry, weak and brittle hair. Choose organic, omega-3 fortified eggs from cage-free hens.
Everyone's dietary needs are different based on a number of factors including lifestyle, diet, medications and more. To find out what vitamins you need, take the Weil Vitamin Advisor. This 3-step questionnaire requires just minutes to complete, and generates a free, no-obligation vitamin and nutritional supplement recommendation that is personalized to meet your unique nutritional needs.
Sensitive to redness and irritation?
Get relief with Dr. Andrew Weil for Origins™ Mega Mushroom Collection. The award winning Mega-Mushroom Skin Relief Soothing Face Serum is clinically proven to help calm and soothe skin. Enjoy 1-week supplies of Dr. Andrew Weil for Origins™ Mega-Mushroom serum and cleanser + free shipping with any $30 Origins.com purchase. Use code MUSHROOM at checkout.
Feeling Anxious? Consider Trying Reflexology
Does Cinnamon Have Health Benefits For Diabetics? 10/22/2016
Want To Promote A Healthy Heart? Eat More Onions! 10/21/2016
2 Supplements That May Promote Healthy, Full Hair 10/20/2016
3 Ways To Use Eucalyptus For Your Health 10/19/2016
|Click here to subscribe.|