Every Monday in January we present tips on the what, why and how of the Dr. Weil-recommended anti-inflammatory diet. Get started today!
We conclude our mini-series on the Anti-Inflammatory Diet with some simple steps to help you make your grocery cart a vehicle for healthy living. Use these suggestions the next time you shop for groceries:
- Produce Section: Choose fresh, whole organic produce whenever possible. Vegetables and fruits from all parts of the color spectrum should make up most of your grocery items.
- Jarred/Packaged Foods: Choose no- or low-sodium jarred and packaged foods.
- Grains, Breads, Cereals and Legumes: Choose products made of whole, intact grains, not white or whole wheat-flour products. Stock up on healthy, inexpensive staples like dried beans and lentils.
- Dairy, Refrigerator Case and Frozen Foods: Avoid anything with carrageenan (which may be irritating to the digestive tract), choose organic, hormone-free dairy products without a lot of added sugar, and choose frozen foods that are organic. Avoid frozen meals that are high in sodium, and instead opt for healthier protein sources such as frozen edamame, omega-3 enriched eggs and fresh tofu.
- Meat/Seafood/Fish: Choose fresh or frozen to widen your selection, and focus on seafood. When buying salmon, always opt for wild-caught Alaskan varieties.
- Healthy Fats: Choose unsalted or low-salt varieties of nuts and seeds that are raw or dry roasted (store seeds in the freezer for freshness) and always choose a high quality extra virgin olive oil or organic, cold-expeller-pressed canola oil for cooking and baking.
Dr. Weil on Healthy Aging is Your Online Guide to the Anti-Inflammatory Diet! Start your 14-day free trial and get access to over 300 recipes, shopping lists, eating guides and more.
Everyone's dietary needs are different based on a number of factors including lifestyle, diet, medications and more. To find out what vitamins you need, take the Weil Vitamin Advisor. This 3-step questionnaire requires just minutes to complete, and generates a free, no-obligation vitamin and nutritional supplement recommendation that is personalized to meet your unique nutritional needs.
What’s in Your Pantry?
If you want to make the switch from processed products to whole, healthy foods, become a member of Dr. Weil on Healthy Aging! We will guide you through the transition to a healthy, nourishing kitchen via guides, tools, recipes, tips and a supportive community to join you in the kitchen. Start your free trial today for a healthier pantry tomorrow!
Want To Increase Your Stamina? This Exercise Can Help!
Do You Know Why You Need Vitamin K? Find Out! 08/30/2016
4 Ways To Minimize Inflammation, From Foods To Fats 08/16/2016
Is There Such A Thing As A Safe Facelift? 08/25/2016
See What Dr. Weil Grows In His Garden In Summertime! 08/26/2016
|Click here to subscribe.|