February is Heart Health Month – look for advice throughout the month intended to help you manage cardio-related health concerns.
Yesterday’s Daily Tip discussed the signs of a stroke; today we discuss eight ways to help prevent stroke.
According to the American Stroke Association, approximately 700,000 Americans will suffer a new or recurrent stroke this year. That means, on average, someone in America has a stroke every 45 seconds. Strokes are a leading cause of severe, long-term disability and addressing the associated risk factors can help prevent their often devastating consequences. To help minimize the risk of stroke, consider the following suggestions:
- Control your blood pressure either through lifestyle changes or medication if necessary.
- Exercise. People who exercise consistently have increased cardiovascular health and a lower risk of suffering a stroke.
- If you smoke, quit. Smoking is the leading preventable risk factor for stroke.
- Limit alcohol intake. If you drink alcohol, do so only in moderation. Moderate alcohol intake is defined as no more than one drink per day for women and two drinks per day for men.
- Lower total cholesterol levels into a healthy range by adhering to a healthy diet, exercising regularly and working with your doctor.
- Focus on your diet. Follow an eating plan designed for those with high blood pressure and heart disease, such as the DASH diet – it may be helpful in preventing strokes.
Learn more about stroke in the DrWeil.com Heart Health Center.
Everyone's dietary needs are different based on a number of factors including lifestyle, diet, medications and more. To find out what vitamins you need, take the Weil Vitamin Advisor. This 3-step questionnaire requires just minutes to complete, and generates a free, no-obligation vitamin and nutritional supplement recommendation that is personalized to meet your unique nutritional needs.
Vital Choice Wild Seafood & Organics
Wild salmon is recommended by Dr. Weil because it’s rich in the nutrients that promote good health. Vital Choice is the trusted source for fast home delivery of the finest wild seafood and other delicious foods that are really, really good for you. Shop Vital Choice now – and sign up for Vital Choices, our free e-newsletter with up-to-the-minute health news, fabulous recipes, and exclusive special offers.
Do You Know Why You Need Vitamin K? Find Out!
Good News For Chocolate Lovers: Dark Chocolate Can Be Healthful! 08/29/2016
Are Mud Baths Safe Or Unhealthy? 08/28/2016
Does Your Pantry Hold The Keys To A Naturally Clean Home? 08/27/2016
Want To Increase Your Stamina? This Exercise Can Help! 8/24/2016
|Click here to subscribe.|