Studies on sleep and the opinions of sleep experts are convincing: napping has value. People who nap generally enjoy better mental health and mental efficiency than people who do not. Unfortunately, finding opportunities to rest during daylight hours in our society is not so easy – the North American culture is actively opposed to the whole concept, bombarding us with stimulation in more and more places and times.
If you want to embrace the habit of napping – as many cultures worldwide do – consider the following:
- Accept napping as a positive thing. Remind yourself frequently that napping can make a day more productive – it is actually the opposite of being lazy.
- Do not fight the body’s desire to nap. This will result in unpleasant or unproductive naps.
- Take naps when you can. If your schedule does not permit a nap every day, consider taking productive naps as a passenger in cars, trains and airplanes.
- Consider time and duration. Napping for too long, too often or at the wrong time of day can be counterproductive. See what length and schedule works best for you.
- Napping can mean just taking a break. Lying on a hammock or just staring into space is the essence of rest – it is not doing that refreshes you in body and mind.
Everyone's dietary needs are different based on a number of factors including lifestyle, diet, medications and more. To find out what vitamins you need, take the Weil Vitamin Advisor. This 3-step questionnaire requires just minutes to complete, and generates a free, no-obligation vitamin and nutritional supplement recommendation that is personalized to meet your unique nutritional needs.
Depressed? Anxious? Sad?
You aren’t alone, but Dr. Weil’s new website, SpontaneousHappiness.com, can help. This eight-week plan addresses simple, effective and natural ways to address depression, anxiety and stress. Weekly videos, checklists, tools and more guide you on the path to serenity and contentment. Start your 10-day free trial now!
Does Cinnamon Have Health Benefits For Diabetics?
Want To Promote A Healthy Heart? Eat More Onions! 10/21/2016
2 Supplements That May Promote Healthy, Full Hair 10/20/2016
3 Ways To Use Eucalyptus For Your Health 10/19/2016
Could You Benefit From Using a Neti Pot? Learn What It Can Do 10/18/2016
|Click here to subscribe.|