Yesterday’s Daily Tip covered five of my favorite healthy vegetables – today I present the rest of the list. I recommend keeping your kitchen stocked with each of these as it comes into season:
- Beets. The deep red color of these root vegetables comes from anthocyanins, phytonutrients that protect against damage from carcinogens and may help prevent heart disease. Beets are delicious hot or cold, versatile and inexpensive.
- Squash. With a wide variety of types, flavors, shapes, and sizes, squash is readily adaptable to any occasion – it can even be used in pie! It provides beta-carotene, potassium, and fiber, nutrients that are necessary for good overall health.
- Tomatoes. This red fruit (often considered a vegetable) contains lycopene, a powerful antioxidant that helps fight heart disease and possibly some types of cancer, particularly prostate cancer. Use tomatoes in everything from salads to sauces, but know that lycopene is most easily absorbed when the tomatoes are cooked and eaten with a little fat, such as extra virgin olive oil.
- Broccoli. This vegetable-platter classic and other cruciferous vegetables offer cancer-protective benefits. Broccoli is also a good source of vitamin K and calcium – both of which help keep bones strong. It is tasty both raw and cooked, and can be a stand out in soups, casseroles, and salads.
- Mushrooms. Prized for their tonic effects, mushrooms can help address a host of illnesses. Maitake mushrooms (known as "hen of the woods" for their resemblance to the fluffed tail feathers of a nesting hen) are particularly valued in Asian cooking, as they have anti-cancer, anti-viral and immune-enhancing properties, and may also reduce blood pressure and blood sugar. Shiitake, enokidake and oyster mushrooms also have immune-boosting qualities, and are easily included in many main courses.
Everyone's dietary needs are different based on a number of factors including lifestyle, diet, medications and more. To find out what vitamins you need, take the Weil Vitamin Advisor. This 3-step questionnaire requires just minutes to complete, and generates a free, no-obligation vitamin and nutritional supplement recommendation that is personalized to meet your unique nutritional needs.
Lower Your Blood Pressure Naturally
RESPeRATE™ is the first medical device clinically proven to lower blood pressure with no side effects. This revolutionary device harnesses the power of breathing to lower blood pressure naturally. Featured in Mayo Clinic’s "On High Blood Pressure," Doctor Recommended.