Vegetables (and fruits) are the foundation of my Anti-Inflammatory Food Pyramid, and for good reason – fresh produce is the best source of natural nutrients that can help keep your entire body running smoothly. I recommend every healthy kitchen have the following versatile and flavorful favorites on hand:
- Onions: This classic, pungent vegetable adds depth and richness to any meal. Sulfur compounds found in most varieties of onions may be responsible for its health benefits, including the possible lowering of cholesterol and blood pressure.
- Garlic: This fragrant bulb contains many of the same phytonutrients as onions, as well as antibiotic and antiviral compounds. It may help boost the immune system, prevent colds, lower blood pressure and cholesterol, and fight fungal infections.
- Spinach: This dark leafy green (and others like it, such as kale and collards) contains lutein and zeaxanthin, antioxidant carotenoids that may help prevent cataracts and macular degeneration. Spinach is also a source of calcium and folate, a B vitamin that helps to prevent birth defects. Buy organic spinach, since pesticides are commonly used on conventionally grown varieties.
- Cabbage: This low-cost yet highly nutritious cruciferous vegetable contains nutrients called indoles, which may protect against both breast and prostate cancer. It also provides significant amounts of fiber and vitamin C.
- Sweet potatoes: Rich in beta carotene, these vegetables may help boost the immune system, deliver vitamin C and folate (which may reduce the risk of heart disease and prevent certain birth defects), and are low on the glycemic index and glycemic load charts.
Don’t miss tomorrow’s Daily Tip, for the other five of the 10 Veggies You Should Be Eating.
Everyone's dietary needs are different based on a number of factors including lifestyle, diet, medications and more. To find out what vitamins you need, take the Weil Vitamin Advisor. This 3-step questionnaire requires just minutes to complete, and generates a free, no-obligation vitamin and nutritional supplement recommendation that is personalized to meet your unique nutritional needs.
Seeing Dark Spots? Dr. Weil has a bright solution
Discover Dr. Andrew Weil for Origins™ Mega-Bright Skin tone correcting serum. The formula features a blend of powerful ingredients from nature including Rosa Roxburghii Complex. This fruit, known as the King of Vitamin C, contains highly potent anti-irritant ingredients that help quell melanin-triggering stress. For a limited time only, receive a free 1-week supply of Mega-Bright serum + free shipping with any Origins.com purchase. Use code MEGABRIGHT at checkout.
Want To Promote A Healthy Heart? Eat More Onions!
2 Supplements That May Promote Healthy, Full Hair 10/20/2016
3 Ways To Use Eucalyptus For Your Health 10/19/2016
Could You Benefit From Using a Neti Pot? Learn What It Can Do 10/18/2016
Worried About Endometriosis? Then Avoid These 6 Foods 10/17/2016
|Click here to subscribe.|