8 Supplements for Energy
Each Thursday in August we will present information from the all new Dr. Weil's Head-to-Toe Wellness Guide. Visit it today on DrWeil.com, or join Dr. Weil on Healthy Aging for an enhanced version with links to related recipes!
Persistent mild fatigue or a chronic lack of energy due to day-to-day stressors or hectic schedules can affect your productivity. You can help address fatigue or lack of energy by keeping your blood sugar levels stable, getting enough rest and exercise, and considering these supplements and herbs:
- Magnesium and calcium. Oral magnesium supplementation has been shown to help reduce symptoms of fatigue, especially for those with low magnesium levels.
- Coenzyme Q10. This vital nutrient is involved in cellular energy production throughout the body.
- Cordyceps. A traditional Chinese medicinal fungus that may help fight fatigue and boost energy levels. It is used as an energizing tonic and to help increase aerobic capacity and endurance.
- D-Ribose. A five-carbon sugar used in the generation of ATP (adenosine triphosphate), it helps maintain energy production in cells and can be especially beneficial for those with chronic fatigue.
- Ginseng (American or Asian). Asian ginseng (Panax ginseng) and American ginseng (Panax quinquefolius) are used for stimulant and adaptogenic (stress-protective) properties, respectively.
- Eleuthero (Eleutherococcus senticosus). A woody shrub from northeastern Asia with properties similar to those of ginseng, it has a long history of use to maximize athletic performance. Studies show that eleuthero can help enhance mental activity as well.
- Arctic root (Rhodiola rosea). An adaptogenic herb that helps prevent fatigue, stress and the damaging effects of oxygen deprivation.
- Vitamin B complex. B-vitamins act as cofactors in many metabolic reactions and assist in themetabolism of carbohydrates into energy.
Getting an Energy Boost
In addition to eating a proper diet and getting regular exercise, you can promote increased energy with Dr. Weil's Energy Support Formula. The recommended combination of eleuthero, cordyceps and ashwaganda can help increase your vitality and stamina naturally, and without stimulants. Buy it now, or visit Dr. Weil's Vitamin Advisor for your free, personalized supplement recommendation - make your first purchase today and save up to 25%!