Natural Skin Care for Pets
Often pets have unexplained bouts of dry skin and dandruff, but you can ease your pet's frustration if you take a few simple steps.
- Brush your pet regularly, and bathe him often.
- If you have a lawn, keep it watered and mow it regularly to keep the grass short.
- If you have carpeting in your house, vacuum it frequently.
- Make sure your hands are clean when you pet your animal.
- Feed your pet fresh, organic foods and give it filtered water, just like you drink.
- Make sure your pet's bed is made of natural fibers, and clean it often.
- Don't use pesticides in your home unless absolutely necessary.
A note of caution: according to the American Animal Hospital Association (AAHA), your pet's scratching may indicate more than dry skin. If your pet shows any of the following signs on its skin, see your veterinarian:
- Redness rashes or bumps
- Open sores
- Excessive hair loss (patchy or all over)
- Dull, dry hair that easily falls or pulls out
- Constant foot-licking or face-rubbing (with or without runny eyes or itchy ears)
If your dog is experiencing dry skin that your vet has determined is not serious, you may try treating the condition with various homeopathic remedies.
- For dandruff and patchy hair loss, try Phosphorus
- For red skin with hot spots ("moist eczema"), try Sulphur
- For small red blotching on skin, try Urtica Urens
- For scaly or dry skin, try, Arsenicum Album
- For moist skin or itching, try Carbo Veg
- For sensitive skin, try Calendula Officinalis
- For dermatitis from flea bites or poison ivy, try Rhus Tox
Ask Dr. Weil
Ask Dr. Weil Home
Ask Your Question
Top 50 Most Popular Q&As
Health Centers Home
Condition Care Guide
Bone & Joint Health
Colds & Flu
Supplements & Herbs
Supplements & Herbs Home
Dr. Weil's Balanced Living
Balanced Living Home
Meet Andrew Weil
Dr. Weil Event Calendar
The Healthy Kitchen
Exercise & Fitness
Spirit & Inspiration
Pets & Pet Care
Videos & Features
Videos & Features Home
Anti-Inflammatory Food Pyramid
Head to Toe Wellness Guide
Flipbooks (Online Magazines)
About Weil Lifestyle
Science Advisory Board
Organizations & Nonprofits
Dr. Weil's Health Network
Arizona Center for Integrative Medicine
Dr. Weil's Daily Blog
Dr. Weil on the Huffington Post
Dr. Weil Product Sites
Dr. Weil Products
Dr Weil on Healthy Aging
Dr. Weil's 8 Week Plan
Weil Information (print order site)
Member Account Page
For the Press
Advertising Kit (pdf)
Dr. Weil Events